Milwaukee Small Business Licenses and Permits

To best determine what, if any, licenses and/or permits you’ll need, start by visiting or calling your local municipality. For the most part, they can provide you with immediate direction. A business attorney is also a good source to get you started off on the right foot.

Since licenses and/or permits may influence some of your decision making regarding the form of your business and its location, research what’s required early in your set-up.

The Small Business Milwaukee staff has found the following resources to be helpful; we’re not affiliated with them in any way.

Business License (DBA)

A company typically uses a trade name to conduct business using a simpler name rather than using their formal and often lengthier name. Trade names are also used when a preferred name cannot be registered, often because it may already be registered or is too similar to a name that is already registered.

Incorporation Of A Business

Incorporation is the formation of a new corporation. The corporation may be a business, a nonprofit organization, a sports club, or a local government of a new city or town.

Building Permits & Zoning Compliance

Licenses & Permits Required

Sales Tax Permits and more.. You need a seller’s Permit, A consumer’s Use Tax Certificate, A Use Tax Certificate, etc.

Fire Inspections & Permits

Health Inspections

Environmental Permits

Child Care Permits

Various Other Permits

Can't Find What You Are Looking For?

We help people like you find the answers and the resources you are looking for. Contact us below and we'll get back to you soon!

Meeting hours

Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri: 8am - 3:30pm


5300 S.108th St. Ste 15 #135
Hales Corners, WI 53130



Our Services

Business Resources